Garbage & Recycling
Click here to view the NEW TRASH & RECYCLING COLLECTION SCHEDULE effective April 2019
EASTERN ZONE - Tuesday Trash & Recycle Pickup
WESTERN ZONE - Wednesday Trash & Recycle Pickup
Lenawee County Solid Waste Department Information - the links below have information that is helpful to all residents for safe disposal of hazardous waste and recycle/reuse options. Or call for information at 734.271.6150.
Household Hazardous Waste Guide
ReDuce ReUse ReCycle ReBuy OpportunitiesWhat & How to Recycle
- Household recycling pickup is provided every week on your regular trash pickup day.
- All of your recyclables end up at an Approved Recycling Facility, where they are sorted and shipped out for reuse.
- Put all the recyclable paper together in Recycle Bin / or on top of Recycle bin. (can be put in a paper bag or tied)
- Put all recyclable items together in Recycle Bin.
- Please put your bins out before 7:00 a.m.
Acceptable PaperNewspaper including color comics and inserts
- Corrugated cardboard
- “Junk mail” advertising flyers
- Magazines and catalogs
- Brown grocery bags
- “Boxboard” lightweight cardboard used in cereal, cracker and cookie boxes (please flatten)
- Office paper and envelopes (white and colors)
- Telephone books
- Only containers marked #1, 2, 4, 5, 7 on bottom, such as milk and water jugs, laundry and hair care bottles, syrup bottles, wide-mouth tubs. NO unmarked or #3 & #6 plastics.
- Clear or colors.
- Rinse clean with hot water. Remove lids. Labels are OK.
- NO motor oil or chemical bottles. NO shopping bags.
- All colors. Remove caps. Labels are OK.
- Rinse clean with hot water.
- NO window glass, mirrors, light bulbs, drinking glasses or broken glass.
- Tin, steel and aluminum
- Rinse clean with hot water, labels are OK.
- When possbile, remove lids and put them inside cans (for safety.)
- NO aerosol cans or cans which held hazardous products.
Household trash and garbage are picked up on Tuesdays in the Eastern Zone and Wednesdays in the Western Zone.
(See map for zone designations) Put trash in sturdy plastic bags, securely tied, and put it at the curbside before 7:00 a.m. Please note that bags can weigh no more than 50 lbs.
Note: Trash must be in plastic bags no trash containers are allowed.
- BULKY ITEMS: Collected each week along with your regular trash. Includes such items as mattresses, box springs, rolls of carpet (rolled, tied and cut in 4-5 ft. lengths), water softeners, furniture and large appliances.
- REFRIGERANTS: Items containing freon (refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, dehumidifiers) must have a tag attached verifying that the freon has been removed by a certified technician.
- EXCLUDED: We cannot take construction or demolition material, large machinery, fencing, motor vehicles, auto parts, or hazardous waste.
- Kraft paper biodegradable yard waste bags (available at many local merchants),securely closed.
- Your own sturdy can with a lid to keep out rain. Containers must meet ANSI and GLWS standards. No larger than 30 gallons and no heavier than 50 lbs. On the outside clearly mark “YARD WASTE.” Put yard waste loose inside.
- A yard waste cart rented from Republic Services. These are large, easy-to-use carts on wheels. For rental information, call Republic Services at 734.271.6150. If you use a cart or can, remove it from curbside by 8 a.m. the morning after pickup.
Home CompostingComposting is the natural process by which organic matter decays into a dark, rich and crumbly substance called humus, which makes an excellent soil conditioner. Tecumseh residents interested in reducing the amount of yard waste for pickup might want to consider backyard composting.