Treasury FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the City of Tecumseh's millage rate?

The City’s operating millage rate on the 2020 summer taxes is 14.27. The City’s 2020 Unlimited Tax General Obligation Bond millage on the 2020 summer taxes for road improvements is 1.8224. The total 2020 millage rate for Principal Residence is 44.4901. Non-Principal Residence property is 62.4901. The total Industrial Personal millage rate is 38.4901  and the total Commercial Personal millage rate is 50.4901. Those rates include millages for the City, Public Schools, Intermediate Schools, County, State Education Tax and District Library.

When does the City collect property taxes?

There are two tax bills during the year, summer and winter. The summer bill is issued July 1st and due August 31st to avoid penalty and interest charges. The winter bill is issued December 1st and due February 14th to avoid a 3% penalty. If due date falls on a day City Hall is closed, payment will be accepted on the next business day without a penalty. Eligible taxpayers can defer their summer tax bill.

Will I receive my property tax bill?
Yes, every owner will receive a copy of their tax bill. If your bank or mortgage company collects your taxes, your tax bill will go directly to the bank or mortgage company and you will receive an informational copy. If you are responsible for paying your own taxes and do not receive a bill around July 1st and December 1st, please call the Treasurer’s office at 517-424-6549 to make sure the tax bill is being mailed to the correct address.
When is the last day I may pay my taxes at City Hall?

Taxes may be paid through February at City Hall. Beginning March 1st, taxes need to be paid at the Lenawee County Treasurer’s office at the old courthouse in Adrian, with the exception of business owners that have personal property taxes. Personal property taxes are paid at City Hall, while the real property taxes are paid at the Lenawee County Treasurer’s office, phone: 517-264-4554.

For each of the taxing authorities, what is my tax dollars used for?

City Operating:
Fire service, police service, garbage pickup, street cleaning, street maintenance; snow plowing, parks and recreation, cemetery and administrative services.

City 2020 Unlimited Tax General Obligation Bond
Voter approved millage for road improvements in the City of Tecumseh.

LISD (Lenawee Intermediate School District):
Amount paid to the Lenawee Intermediate School District.  For questions, contact the school at (517) 265.2119. 

State Education Tax (SET):
Amount that is paid to the State of Michigan for the schools.

School Operating:
Amount that is paid to the Tecumseh Public Schools. For questions, contact Mr. Richard Hilderley, Superintendent, at the Tecumseh School Board Office at (517) 423.2167.

Tecumseh District Library:
Voter approved millage for operation of the Tecumseh School District Library located in the City of Tecumseh. 

Amount paid to Lenawee County for services performed by the county, such as police, snow plowing, and street maintenance.  Questions on the county's millage should be directed to Martin Marshall, County Administrator at (517) 264.4508. 

Department on Aging:
Voter approved tax that is paid to Lenawee County for senior citizen programs, including Meals on Wheels, foster grandparent program, senior centers, and assistance for seniors to help keep them at home.  Please direct questions to Tom MacNaughton, Director at (517) 264.5285.

Medical Care:
Voter approved tax that is paid to Lenawee County for the Adrian Health Care Center; the county owned nursing home for seniors on Sand Creek Highway in Adrian.  This tax goes to what is known as "maintenance of effort".  The State of Michigan pays for this through grants, but in order to receive the money the local unit (county) must pay a small portion.  Any questions, please direct to Kathy Aube, Administrator at (517) 263.6794. 

Veteran’s Relief:
State statute millage levied by Lenawee County to provide funding for veterans who meet a certain criterion.   Please direct questions to Tammy Sheldon of the Veteran’s office at (517) 264-5337.  If you have a question regarding the actual millage please contact Lenawee County Equalization Department at (517) 264.4522.

Who pays property taxes and how are they calculated?

All owners of real and personal property in the city pay City property taxes. Real property represents land and buildings. Personal property represents furniture, fixtures, and machinery and equipment used in the operation of a business in the City. Property taxes are calculated by multiplying the taxable value of the property by the millage rate and dividing by 1,000. One mill equals $1 per $1,000 of taxable value. The taxable value is determined each year by the City Assessor. When you purchase property, the taxable value will uncap the following year, so your taxes will not be the same as the year you purchased the property. After the first year, the taxable value can only increase the rate of inflation or 5% whichever is less. The Assessed Value, which represents 50% of the true market value of the property, is not capped and is based on a sales study. Each taxing authority sets its own millage rate each year.

What is the City's fiscal year?

July 1st - June 30th.

What time period do my taxes cover? Are they paid in advance or arrears?
According to the Attorney General's opinion of the State of Michigan, taxes are levied for a calendar year and are collected for the calendar year in which the levy is made, therefore making them paid in arrears. For instance, the taxes that are assessed and levied in 2019 are for the year 2019. The taxing authority may spend the taxes in 2020, but that does not change the fact that they are 2019 taxes. However, the above does not mean that buyers and sellers cannot agree to prorate the taxes on a property transaction in a different manner.

MCL 211.2 of the General Property Tax Act provides that buyers and sellers may agree to prorate taxes in any manner in which they see fit. If a buyer and seller, between themselves, agree to treat taxes as though paid in advance, then that is how the taxes are to be prorated. If this method were used, then the buyer would be totally liable for a tax bill issued later in the calendar year in which the property was purchased. If they agree to treat the taxes as paid in arrears, that tax bill along with any earlier tax bill issued for that year is combined and prorated according to how long each party owned the property that year.
How can I pay my property taxes?
Tax payments may be paid by cash, check or money order at Tecumseh City Hall between the hours of 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday. For your safety and the safety of our staff, due to the current COVID-19 situation, we are encouraging taxpayers to not enter the building unless necessary.   If you leave your ENTIRE TAX BILL in the drop box or mail with your check payment, we will be glad to stamp your bottom portion paid and mail to you.  We discourage the use of cash and please do NOT leave cash in the drop box.  Payments must be in the night box by 6:00pm on the due date or penalty and interest will apply.  Postmark is not accepted.  The night box is located to the left of the rear entrance to City Hall.  For your convenience, a drive-up drop box has also been added along the exit driveway on the west side of City Hall. Partial payments are accepted at City Hall. Taxes can also be paid at the Tecumseh office of Old National Bank by:

  • Bringing the original tax bill.
  • Paying on or before the due date.
  • Paying the total amount due.
Taxes can be paid by credit card in person or by visiting the City’s website at and clicking on “Access Property and Tax Information and make online payments” on the home page. A 3% convenience fee will be charged for this service and $3.00 will be charged for an e-check. Credit card payments by phone are not accepted.
Taxes can also be paid by completing an ACH form online under forms and reports or completing an ACH form at City Hall and choosing one of the three (3) dates available for payment for each tax bill.
What are the requirements to defer my summer taxes?
To qualify for a deferment of summer taxes, you must not have a household income of more than $40,000 for the previous calendar year and you must meet one of the following qualifications:

  • Be 62 years of age or older, including the unmarried surviving spouse of a person who was 62 years of age or older at the time of death.
  • Be a Paraplegic, Hemiplegic, or Quadriplegic.
  • Be an eligible Serviceperson, eligible Veteran, eligible widow or widower.
  • Be a blind person.
  • Be totally and permanently disabled.
You can also have property that is classified or used as agricultural real property with the gross receipts of agricultural or horticultural operations in the previous year being not less than your total household income for the previous calendar year or the combined incomes in the previous year of the individual members of a limited liability company that owns the agricultural property.
May I also defer my winter taxes?

No. However, if you meet the requirements for deferring your summer taxes and can show a copy of your Homestead Property Tax credit form to the Treasurer’s Office, which was filed before February 14th, and you have not received a check yet, but the check is received during the remaining two weeks in February, any penalty that would be due will be waived.

Does the City accept postmark date on tax payments mailed?

The City does not accept postmark.  After the due date, please contact the Treasurer’s office by phone or email to obtain the correct amount due.

What happens if I don't pay my personal property tax?

If you do not pay personal property taxes, the Treasurer is authorized to seize and sell at public auction the amount of personal property to satisfy the taxes.

Will special assessments go on my taxes?

Yes. If you do not pay your yearly payment or invoice, the yearly payment or invoice amount will appear on your summer tax bill along with delinquent water/sewer bills and miscellaneous invoices.

How do I get a dog license?
Dog licenses are available through the Lenawee County Treasurer's Office.  (Due to COVID-19, City of Tecumseh will NOT be issuing dog licenses for 2021.)   A current valid rabies certificate must be presented to purchase a license every year, regardless of whether the certificate has not expired from the previous year (rabies certificate must not expire less than two (2) weeks of the license issue date).  No other documentation is acceptable.   Proof of spay/neuter is required.  State law requires all dogs four months and older to have a license.    Licenses expire on December 31st of each year and need to be renewed every year.