Brookside Cemetery dates back to 1853 when the land was purchased from William H. Hoag.
The first burial here was on August 13, 1853, for Valentine Ream. The City's original burial ground was located at the corner of South Ottawa and East Kilbuck Streets, now the site of Elliot Park and the Scout Cabin. The 282 bodies originally interned there were moved to Brookside over a 10-year period, commencing in 1853.
Tecumseh's first sexton was John McConnell, who began his tenure in 1839, at the original cemetery and then oversaw the move to Brookside. Many of Tecumseh's first settlers rest in Brookside, among them Joseph Brown and his family, and Abi Evans, wife of Musgrove Evans, and two of their children.
The Civil War monument now located in Brookside was originally built in 1882, and was located in Monument Square, which is now the site of the Tecumseh Public Library. It was moved to Brookside around 1928.
The stone Mausoleum was built in 1913. It features two stained glass windows, one set in a transom over the double door entry. These windows are registered with the Michigan Stained Glass Census. The Stacey Memorial Arch, located at the main entrance to Brookside, was built in 1915. The 40-foot long granite arch weighs 8-tons and was a gift from Gertrude & George H. Stacy, co-editor of the Tecumseh Herald.
"Cemeteries are not so much for the dead as they are for the living, and the headstones and monuments in them help us to remember those who came before us"
Tecumseh District Library Archives