Tecumseh Police Department offers property inspections for city residents who are going out of town.
Officers will conduct a walk around inspection of the outside of the home to check for any damage or illegal entry. Forms can be filled out 7 days a week from 8:00 a.m. — midnight at the department. You will be asked to provide a local emergency contact and your vacation address.
- Does someone you trust have a key to the residence?
- Do they have access to keys to any vehicles left at the residence?
- Will that person check the home periodically?
- Is that person familiar with your alarm system and know the code?
- Have you asked a trusted neighbor to keep an eye on the residence? (Tell them who is authorized to be there.)
- Have you stopped or forwarded your mail and paper service?
- Have you arranged for snow removal and/or yard care?
- Have you arranged for pet care?
- Do you have light timers?
- Are all appliances turned off?
- Is the heat turned down but not off so the pipes don't freeze?
- Are all the windows and doors secure?
- Are there any perishable food items in the residence? (Check the refrigerator.)
- Did you fill out a Property Inspection sheet at your local Police Department?