Frequently Asked Questions

Select from one of our commonly asked questions below.

Can't find the answer you are looking for? Call or email city treasurer Leisa Still for more information.

What is the City of Tecumseh's millage rate?

The City's operating millage rate is 14.3966. The City’s 2015 Unlimited Tax General Obligation Bond for road improvements is 1.9218.  The total 2016 millage rate for Principal Residence is 44.3108 mills.  Non-Principal Residence property is 62.2946 mills. The total Industrial Personal millage rate is 38.3108 mills and the total Commercial Personal millage rate is 50.2946 mills. Those rates include millages for the City, Public Schools, Intermediate Schools, County, State Education Tax and District Library.

When does the City collect property taxes?

There are two tax bills during the year, summer and winter. The summer bill is issued July 1st and due August 31st to avoid penalty and interest charges. The winter bill is issued December 1st and due February 14th to avoid a 3% penalty. Eligible seniors can defer their summer tax bill.

Will I receive my property tax bill?

Yes.  Tax bills are mailed to all property owners.  If your bank or their tax collecting service requests your tax bill, they will be mailed a copy and you will be mailed an informational copy only.   If you are responsible for paying your own taxes and do not receive a bill around July 1st and December 1st, please call the Treasurer's office at 517-424-6549 to make sure the tax bill is being mailed to the correct address.

When is the last day I may pay my taxes at City Hall?

Taxes may be paid through February at City Hall.  Beginning March 1st, taxes need to be paid at the Lenawee County Treasurer's office at the old courthouse in Adrian, with the exception of business owners that have personal property taxes.  Personal property taxes are paid at City Hall, while the real property taxes are paid at the Lenawee County Treasurer's office, phone:  517-264-4554.

For each of the taxing authorities, what is my tax dollars used for?

City Operating:

Fire service, police service, garbage pickup, street cleaning, street maintenance; snow plowing, parks and recreation, cemetery and administrative services.

City 2015 Unlimited Tax General Obligation Bond:

Voter approved millage for road improvements in the City of Tecumseh.

LISD (Lenawee Intermediate School District):

Amount paid to the Lenawee Intermediate School District. For questions, contact the school at (517) 265.2119.

State Education Tax (SET):

Amount that is paid to the State of Michigan for the schools.

School Operating:

Amount that is paid to the Tecumseh Public Schools. For questions, contact Mike McAran, Superintendent, at the Tecumseh School Board Office at (517) 423.2167.

Tecumseh District Library:

Voter approved millage for operation of the Tecumseh School District Library located in the City of Tecumseh.


Amount paid to Lenawee County for services performed by the county, such as police, snow plowing, and street maintenance. Questions on the county's millage should be directed to Martin Marshall, County Administrator at (517) 264.4508.

Department on Aging:

Voter approved tax that is paid to Lenawee County for senior citizen programs, including Meals on Wheels, foster grandparent program, senior centers, and assistance for seniors to help keep them at home. Please direct questions to Tom MacNaughton, Director at (517) 264.5285.

Medical Care:

Voter approved tax that is paid to Lenawee County for the Adrian Health Care Center; the county owned nursing home for seniors on Sand Creek Highway in Adrian. This tax goes to what is known as "maintenance of effort". The State of Michigan pays for this through grants, but in order to receive the money the local unit (county) must pay a small portion. Any questions, please direct to Kathy Aube, Administrator at (517) 263.6794.

Veteran's Relief:

State statute millage levied by Lenawee County to provide funding for veterans who meet a certain criteria. Please direct questions to Tammy Sheldon of the Veteran's office at (517) 264.5337. If you have a question regarding the actual millage please contact Lenawee County Equalization Department at (517) 264.4522.

Who pays property taxes and how are they calculated?

All owners of real and personal property in the city pay City property taxes. Real property represents land and buildings. Personal property represents furniture, fixtures, and machinery and equipment used in the operation of a business in the City. Property taxes are calculated by multiplying the taxable value of the property by the millage rate and dividing by 1,000. One mill equals $1 per $1,000 of taxable value. The taxable value is determined each year by the City Assessor. After the first year, the taxable value can only increase the rate of inflation or 5% whichever is less. The Assessed Value, which represents 50% of the true market value of the property, is not capped and is based on a sales study. Each taxing authority sets its own millage rate each year. When buying property, due to the declining economy use the current taxes as an estimate of what your taxes will be on the property. Do not assume that the value of the property will be adjusted to what you paid for it.

What is the City's fiscal year?

July 1st -June 30th.

What time period do my taxes cover? Are they paid in advance or arrears?

According to the Attorney General's opinion of the State of Michigan, taxes are levied for a calendar year and are collected for the calendar year in which the levy is made, therefore making them paid in arrears. For instance, the taxes that is assessed and levied in 2015 are for the year 2015. The taxing authority may spend the taxes in 2016, but that does not change the fact that they are 2015 taxes. However, the above does not mean that buyers and sellers cannot agree to prorate the taxes on a property transaction in a different manner.

MCL 211.2 of the General Property Tax Act provides that buyers and sellers may agree to prorate taxes in any manner in which they see fit. If a buyer and seller, between themselves, agree to treat taxes as though paid in advance, then that is how the taxes are to be prorated. If this method were used, then the buyer would be totally liable for a tax bill issued later in the calendar year in which the property was purchased. If they agree to treat the taxes as paid in arrears, that tax bill along with any earlier tax bill issued for that year is combined and prorated according to how long each party owned the property that year.

How can I pay my property taxes?

Tax payments may be paid by cash, check, money order or credit card at Tecumseh City Hall between the hours of 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday. For your convenience, a night deposit box is located to the left of the rear entrance to City Hall.  Credit card fee is 3% with a minimum $2.00.

Taxes can also be paid by credit card or e-check by visiting the City's website at  Credit card fee is 3% and e-check fee is $3.00.

Taxes can also be paid by completing an ACH form (available online under forms and reports) or completing an ACH form at City Hall and choosing one of the three (3) dates available for payment for each tax bill.

Pay taxes at Tecumseh East Chicago branch of Old National Bank or Tecumseh branch of First Federal Bank with the original tax bill by the due date.

What are the requirements to defer my summer taxes?

To qualify for a deferment of summer taxes, you must not have a household income of more than $40,000 for the previous calendar year and you must meet one of the following qualifications:

Be 62 years of age or older, including the unmarried surviving spouse of a person who was 62 years of age or older at the time of death.

Be a Paraplegic, Hemiplegic, or Quadriplegic.

Be an eligible Serviceperson, eligible Veteran, eligible widow or widower.

Be a blind person.

Be totally and permanently disabled.

You can also have property that is classified or used as agricultural real property with the gross receipts of agricultural or horticultural operations in the previous year being not less than your total household income for the previous calendar year or the combined incomes in the previous year of the individual members of a limited liability company that owns the agricultural property.

May I also defer my winter taxes?

No. However, if you meet the requirements for deferring your summer taxes and can show a copy of your Homestead Property Tax credit form to the Treasurer's Office, which was filed before February 15th, and you have not received a check yet, but the check is received during the remaining two weeks in February, any penalty that would be due will be waived.

Does the City accept postmark date on tax payments mailed?

The City does accept postmark.  After the due date, please contact the Treasurer’s office by phone or email to obtain the correct amount due.


What happens if I don’t pay my personal property tax?

If you do not pay personal property taxes, the Treasurer is authorized to seize and sell at public auction the amount of personal property to satisfy the taxes.

Will special assessments go on my taxes?

Yes. If you do not pay your yearly payment or invoice, the yearly payment or invoice amount will appear on your summer tax bill along with delinquent water/sewer bills and miscellaneous invoices.

How do I get a dog license?

Dog licenses are available at City Hall from December 1st through February 28th. The cost is $10.00 and a current valid rabies certificate must be presented to purchase a license. State law requires all dogs four months and older to have a license. From March through November dog licenses may be purchased at the County Treasurer's Office in the Old Courthouse in Adrian and from March through October licenses may be purchased at the Raisin Township Office at a cost of $20.00. Licenses expire December 31st of each year and need to be renewed every year.