The Tecumseh Carnegie Preservation League, a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation, recently completed the first step in its efforts to preserve and reuse a local landmark, the Tecumseh Carnegie Library building. In early April, the preservation minded group entered into a land contract agreement to purchase the former Carnegie Library in Tecumseh, Michigan. This was made possible through a grant from the Lenawee Community Foundation.
The Carnegie Library opened in 1905 as Tecumseh’s first public library. It was used in this manner until 1960, when a new library building was built. It then served as the Tecumseh Public Schools Administrative Offices until 2002 when the building was sold to a private entity. It has stood vacant since that time and has fallen into severe disrepair.
Fundraising for this project is currently underway. It is estimated the entire project will require approximately $710,000, which will be phased in as funding becomes available.
Plans call for the building to be used as the Welcome Center for the Tecumseh Area. This proposed center will consolidate like services for visitors, residents, and business prospects, while providing a long-term sustainable source of income for operating the Carnegie Center.
Donations are currently being accepted and can be made out to the Lenawee Community Foundation and mailed to:
Tecumseh Carnegie Preservation League
P.O. Box 8
Tecumseh, MI 49286
Tours of the building will be available to the public during the Promenade Tecumseh Home Tour weekend, May 15th and 16th. For additional information visit www.historictecumseh.org.
Tecumseh has once again shown why it was named one of the Top 100 Small Towns in the United States in which to live (CNN/Money Magazine) by assembling a group of its residents to purchase the town's historic Carnegie Library, with plans to renovate it and make it a self-sustaining icon in the future.